My husband and I would love to find a San diego Underground dining group. We're not chefs, just foodies. Willing to participate in preparations, etc. Have large home.

Views: 197

Replies to This Discussion

Hello all,

I am Ted’s girlfriend (see above posting). He was a little short on the details of our interest in food. Here’s a little bit about each of us:

Me: M.Sc. nutrition. Dietitian. Have worked in commercial kitchens. I counsel people on food, health and disease management, and I am always interested in talking to people about their relationship with food.

Ted: M.Sc. food chemistry. Food product developer. Culinary training. Worked in one of the top 100 restaurants in Canada. Currently working with chefs and cooking schools to help apply food science principles to menu and recipe development. Great world cuisine includes the seasonality of Northern California but also more recently includes the avant garde movements of Chicago, New York, the UK and Spain. Ted is interested in melding culinary traditions and creating good food.

Oh, and we are also keen gardeners, and have had a good growing season this summer.

It looks like we have a very diverse group here. I suggest we meet to discuss our aims and goals and how we want to move forward. It's best to meet over coffee/tea/wine to trade ideas (no need to prepare any food just yet - ensuring a low barrier to entry).

Our weeknights this week are open as is the upcoming week-end. The following week-end is no good as we have prior commitments.

How about we meet on Sunday September 7, 2008 at 1:00pm after the Hillcrest Farmers Market? (http://www.hillquest.com/hba/farmersmarket.htm) We can head out for wine and cheese across the street at Taste (http://www.tastecheese.com/) or grab a coffee at The Urban Grind (http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/places/urban-grind/) and everyone can discuss plans for getting the group started.

If the date/time doesn’t work for people, please suggest another time/location. The main thing is to get started and fire up the stove in someone’s kitchen.
Karen-
I think that's a great idea! I'm thrilled that you 'made a move' towards us all actually meeting. Sunday the 7th works for me...
I look forward to meeting everyone!
-Kim
Karen,
Sounds great :) I'm there. What part of the farmer's market should we meet at?
Would love to be involved in this as well. I cannot host but willing to help set up/bring a dish/help in the clean up.
Let's meet at 1:00 Sunday September 7th, 2008 under the 7-Eleven sign at the intersection of University and Normal. This is just south of the Hillcrest farmer's market See you all then.
To all interested foodie folks who live in the San Diego area, please send an email to the following address to be informed on the upcoming events, ideas, etc. New faces are welcome!

ghetto.gourmet.sd@gmail.com

Some ideas for upcoming events are as follows:
-clam/lobster bake on the beach-grunion run http://www.beachcalifornia.com/grunion-run-annual-schedule.html
-wine tasting in Temecula
-food movie nights: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/329236
-chocolate demos/tours of chocolate shops
-Chino Farms/other organic farms tour, get some produce and then make a great meal together
-bread baking session - easy weekday baking methods, sourdough, etc
-food book club/discussion group
-goat farm/dairy farm tour
-> additionally, try our hands at cheesemaking, or find a cheesemaker to give us a demo
-dessert party, trying out specific themed desserts, i.e. custards - creme brulee, creme caramel, etc-other baking ideas; cakes, cupcakes, pastry (for those adventurous enough to try it)
-attend the apple festival in Julian, perhaps buy several varieties of apples and have an apple-themed food night
-greenhouse tours
-cooking with cactus

Send an email if you find any of these ideas interesting, or suggest something else!
Hi Jennifer,

I just found GG and like you, am looking for an undergroud dining group. Did you find one? I would love to hear.....

Thanks,
Monique
Hi, Monique! :) My future husband and I will be honeymooning in SD 5-24-09 to 6-1-09. If you (or anyone else) find out anything about a GG group forming during that time, please let me know. It's always fun and exciting to experience new and unique events such as a GG get-together! :)

Thanks! :)

Amy
Hi Amy,

Happy upcoming marriage! I have not heard from anyone about a SD group. My fingers are still crossed as I think it would be a lot of fun to participate in a GG group.

Monique
Hello All, I just found this site and I am looking for an supper club. Did one get formed? I would love to help too...
Ann
I used to run an underground restaurant out of my apartment in Brooklyn. I've just moved to San Diego and I'd love to get something started here!
Hi guys, I'd love to help, too. Has anything been started? Jenny, welcome to SD!

RSS

Ghet on the List!

For news, updates, invites and announcements, join the GG Mailing List.

On the map...

Latest Activity

Joe Almirantearena updated their profile
Oct 14
Parties That Cook posted an event

Date at Riggs Distributing

October 18, 2014 from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
Join Parties That Cook and whip up some romance with a steamy Date Night cooking class party at theSub-Zero | Wolf Culinary Events Center at Riggs Distributing. Heat up the kitchen with your partner as you help make a meal that's sure to be both delicious and memorable.At this exciting hands-on cooking party, guests enjoy a lively interactive cooking demonstration. The lead chef will feature tips and tricks highlighting techniques…See More
Sep 23
Debra B posted a photo

Ladies enjoying the meals they have created

This was a singles cooking party, but the guys never showed up because it was raining, so the ladies made it into a ladies night out, so much fun. #simplycaribbean #trinisoulcooking
Aug 5
Debra B updated their profile
Aug 5
Andrew shared a profile on Facebook
Jul 30
Thilo Stefan Sirignano posted photos
Jul 20
Parties That Cook posted an event
Thumbnail

Date Night Couples Cooking Class - San Francisco at 1755 Rollins Rd, Burlingame, CA 94010

September 13, 2014 from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
This class runs from 5:30pm to 8:30pm.Join Parties That Cook and whip up some romance with a steamy Date Night cooking class party at the Sub-Zero | Wolf Culinary Events Center at Riggs Distributing. Heat up the kitchen with your partner as you help make a meal that's sure to be both delicious and memorable.At this exciting hands-on cooking party, guests enjoy a lively interactive cooking demonstration. The lead chef will feature…See More
Jul 17
Sonja posted a status
"Wir suchen noch drei hungrige & kommunikative Gäste für unser 5. Poller Guerilla Dinner"
Jun 5

Sponsored links...

© 2014   Created by thejer.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service